Irish Ferries BOOK NOW

Moynalty Steam Threshing & Working Show


Moynalty Steam Threshing and Working Show






35th Annual Steam Threshing Show





Moynalty, Kells, CountyMeath.





Sunday 8th August 2010



Moynalty is one of the few outings that I have in my diary each year. It is a day out that transports me back to when I was a child and enjoyed the good things in life, such as homemade butter, cutting turf, cutting wheat, using horses and donkeys for farm work that is now done by automated machine. My memories are perhaps blinkered by all that I have endured in my adult life, but for me those were great times.



In Moynalty yesterday I viewed the most wonderful Vintage cars, tractors, horse drawn machinery, and stationary engines. These machines are maintained to the highest standard by great men and women who want the past to remain part of the present and the future, a reminder that we did not always have ATM machines, computers and mobile phones.



I then made my way to an area that was filled to capacity with volunteers as they baked bread on an open fire and skillet, pan cakes and champ (mash potatoes and spring onions – toped with real butter) thank you God. This was a feast fit for a king. I then moved towards the field that is set aside for public displays of harvesting, the way it used to be done. There were men reaping and binding the wheat, the threshing of the wheat was done by steam locomotive, horses ploughed while guided by steady hand. It was truly a flash back to the past and what a wonderful sight.



The food and craft fair is certainly the best that I witness each year as I travel around the country and this display of home baking and cooking sits majestically amongst the sounds of traditional music and Irish traditional dancing. There was also a BBQ and pig on a spit, all pallets were catered for.



The Dog Show attracted all breeds, shapes and sizes. These animals are clearly loved and cared for by their owners. Sheep, goats, dogs, ducks and any number of animals were on display and for sale; I did not buy anything this year as I am over stocked as it is, although I was tempted to buy another puppy.



There were many active crafts on display yesterday including basket weaving, cooking, woodturning, blacksmith, harness making, kitchner steam driven saw, milk churning, tinsmith, spinning, water wheel, forge and so much more all adding to the uniqueness of this annual event.



On site there is also a museum which is well worth a visit, I was able to walk around and be amazed at the collection of antiques and other historical artefacts that were used by our forefathers. This is country living at its best. For the kids there was a fairground, puppet show, face painting, swings and slides, bouncing castles and crazy golf.



The proceedings were officially opened by the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, Mary Hanifin and the Minister reflected the view that Ireland has in recent years begun once again to fully appreciate the value of family, friends and community in difficult times.



Having listened to the Minister’s speech it was time to go for a cup of tea and enjoy a sit down after walking about five mile around the fields. It was a great day out and as usual I have taken many photos for you to enjoy. If you visit Ireland in August please put Moynalty in your diary.